Monday, December 16, 2013

Batman Beyond Unlimited

Last time I wrote a little about how much I like Comixology, and last night I downloaded the first six issues of the Batman Beyond Unlimited series for $.99 a piece there. Not bad even though they are shorter than a standard comic, about half the size.

As you know if you read this blog or you follow me on Twitter, I am currently reading through the Grendel series. I was in the mood for something a little lighter and quicker to break it up so I thought BB would be just the thing. Having read the previous story arc, Industrial Revolution, in print and not hating it (as many did) I looked forward to this continuation of the series I loved in cartoon form when it originally aired. I'll note here that I have not read Hush Beyond, which seems to be the BB story that generated the most ill will toward the series, and that's probably why my opinion of it seems to be higher than that of many others.

The story in these first six issues is mainly building an arc about Dana's brother which I'm not exactly crazy about. Then again, how many times was a villain in the cartoon a classmate of Terry's or a faculty member at the school he attended? So the contrived appearance of a new threat so close to him is not entirely out of place. The smaller thread dealt with more immediately is the return of Mad Stan, the villain who wants to “blow it all up”. He's an entertaining character and it's nice to see him used here for just the right amount of action and humor.

The art here is also a step up from Industrial Revolution, it's easier to follow the action and Terry's model seems more consistent panel to panel and page to page. It pays suitable service to the look of the cartoon while adding an appropriate amount of detail.

 

All in all, it's nothing groundbreaking, but it also isn't anything insultingly terrible, and if you liked the show as a kid (like I did!) you should get more than $.99 worth of enjoyment out of all 11 or so pages of each issue. I think I'll continue the series, and I'll write more about it here. If I like it enough, I may even go back for Hush Beyond...

No comments:

Post a Comment