Thursday, December 19, 2013

New 52 Wonder Woman- through issue 24

Now that I've read the first 24 issues of Wonder Woman, I'm a bit more enthusiastic. In my last post I addressed what I didn't like, mainly the supporting cast and changes to the Golden Age story elements I liked, which, admittedly are the only others I have really read.

I have a different view now. The supporting cast seems to make more sense, as they are now being used to show Diana's strength as a leader. One important character even points this out to her (and the reader) and I have to admit I'm impressed with the way it's playing out. Batman has the bat family, now Wondie has her own army of sidekicks, and the reasons they follow her seem believable and not at all contrived.

The appearance of Orion in the narrative is unfortunate, but only because I think DC should have done at least one dedicated Fifth World title in the New 52 instead of relegating the residents of New Genesis and Apokolips to secondary positions and cameo appearances. Still, I think Orion does fit well into this book and provide a much needed break from the somewhat wearying all Greek mythology cast. His early depiction as a hot headed sexist frat boy is toned down with some nice character development when they travel to New Genesis.


 

This development also hints at a possible path to redemption for the First Born, who is called a dog by Apollo as Orion is by High Father. There is a deliberate, obvious parallel between the characters and I would be surprised if he did not become a recurring ally at some point in this run just as Hera has. Perhaps Azzarello is taking cues from Dragon Ball Z.

All in all, I'm glad to be almost caught up with this title. It's the first New 52 book I've read this far into and I like where it's headed. Diana's new role in Olympus and in the DCU is a good fit. I look forward to the coming stories, and, hopefully, seeing her grow in power and influence.




No comments:

Post a Comment