Wednesday, December 11, 2013

*UPDATE* Reading Order for Grendel Dark Horse Omnibuses by Original Release Date

I have been really into Grendel since I picked up Devil by The Deed and Devil's Legacy at a used bookstore. I tried to find the rest of the series individually to no avail, so I recently got the Dark Horse omnibuses of the series. 

I had held off buying the series this way because they go by chronological order instead of by publication date, which seems absurd. It's like cutting up a novel or a movie to make all the flashbacks come first.

So anyway, here is the correct reading order for the omnibuses based on release date with page numbers. Most info comes from Wikipedia. I hope someone else finds this useful:

"Devil by the Deed" Vol. 1, p.7-44
"Devil's Legacy" Vol. 2, p.65-376
"The Devil Inside" Vol. 2, p.379-456
"Devil Tales" Vol. 2, p.459-549
"The Incubation Years" Vol. 3, p.7-116
"God and the Devil" Vol. 3, p.119-392
"Devil's Reign" Vol. 3, p.395-562
"War Child" Vol. 4, p.7-270
"Devil's Riddle" and "Devil's Masque" (Batman/Grendel I, not included in the Dark Horse volumes)
"Devil Quest" Vol. 4, p.473-528
"A Grendel Primer" Vol. 4, p.531-538
"Devil's Bones" and "Devil's Dance" (Batman/Grendel II, not included in the Dark Horse volumes)
"Black, White, and Red" Vol. 1, p.47-232
"Red, White, and Black" Vol. 1, p.241-424
"Devil Child" Vol. 2, p.9-62
"Past Prime" (Greg Rucka prose novel) Vol. 4, p.274-469
"Behold the Devil" Vol. 1, p.427-596
"Sympathy From the Devil" Vol. 1, p.235-238

I plan to write a longish post about Grendel at some point after I finish. I'm in the middle of God and the Devil now, and I'm loving every page of this series.

*UPDATE*
Changed the list above to include the Batman/Grendel stories. Although they are not included in the omnibuses, they are written by Matt Wagner so it's worth trying to find them to include in a read through. The trade collecting all Batman/Grendel stories is out of print but I was able to find a used copy for under $10 with shipping. I just finished "War Child" last night, and said trade arrived just in time for me to continue the series. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment